Wednesday, October 28, 2009

And with every silver lining, there comes a cloud...

Despite, or perhaps due to my overwhelming positive and grateful attitude last night, I received a completely surreal phone message this morning from a person sharing my first name, who is also a photographer who has recently trademarked our nick name combined with anything photography related. She wants me to change the name of my Photo business so that there is not confussion. Of course, I am only one of many businesses with that name, but it still feels like I am being told I cannot be who I am (which of course is not true). I don't deny that she should have the trademark (though if consulted, I would have before hand), and it isn't my primary source of income, but still...

So the conundrum today is - What Do I Call My Photography Business?
Thoughts?
Suggestions?
I'll post a poll on the right with some of my thoughts, and may add others that come in here.

BTW - it is J9Photo

9 comments:

~JarieLyn~ said...

That blows, especially if you really like your name. Well, maybe it's an opportunity for you to come up with something more brilliant.

Anonymous said...

If my memory is correct, if the business documents have your start date prior to her trademarking the name, she can ask you to change it. But if you don't wish to, she can't do anything about it, unless she pays you to do so. As it was an existing company at the time of her trademarking the business. Therefore, you have every right to keep your name, unless you don't have said legal documents.

RedLan said...

J9Photo is cool but lemme choose from the poll.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Well that just stinks! Sorry;(
Maybe have a JP contest!

<><

Barry said...

Go her one better and call it J10!

Still, what a pain to have to change the name of your business!

NanU said...

I like Barry's suggestion of J10, but I think Rick is right and you don't have to change your life for the convenience of this other woman just because she says so.
Though if you're looking to turn a leaf with the season, it's an opportunity...

Anonymous said...

How about calling your company Photography by JNine?

Anonymous said...

Pix by JNine
Pics by JNine
JNine Fotos

Oh, and tell that 'wonderful "beep" (fill in the beep with your own word)' to pay up if she wants you to change your name!

Chef E said...

This happened to me once and not knowing what I do now...nothing they can do if you already own it...early bird got the worm...

Ditto on Rick's comments...

She should have checked before trademarking...PS did they trademark all J9 potentials? They are not as smart as they might think...my sister is a trademark lawyer...