Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tableau Tuesday 5/19/08

Here we are again, and I find that I didn't take a ton of shots this week.


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

On a different note, I'm in a pretty good mood today and am continuing to choose a positive outlook on life. This morning, my Great Grandmother came to mind while reflecting on politics. Gigi was a staunch Democrat, who liked to play the dollar slots. Every time she put a dollar in the machine, she would put it in with Eisenhower's head upside down, and say, "Damn Republican!" Of course I was WAY too young in the 70's to have witnessed this, but I delight at the story none the less. This got me to thinking about the Dixiecrats, Strom Thurmond, and Arlen Specter, and what people do to stay in power. I read in my newspaper some select quotes from Obama's Speech at Notre Dame, and the onle that got me thinking about all of this, and come to some conclusions. The quote?
From the AP - Obama acknowledged that "no matter how much we want to fudge it ... the fact is that at some level, the views of the two camps are irreconcilable." But he still implored the University of Notre Dame's graduating class and all in the U.S. to stop "reducing those with differing views to caricature. Open hearts. Open minds. Fair-minded words. It's a way of life that always has been the Notre Dame tradition."
He was talking about abortion debate, but this really applies to any of the hot button issues of our time. I see the real problem at the root of all of the devisiveness is a lack of respect and a tendency to vilify anyone in oppostion to their own views.
Also from the AP - The Rev. John Jenkins, Notre Dame's president, introduced Obama and praised the president for not being "someone who stops talking to those who disagree with him." Jenkins said too little attention has been paid to Obama's decision to speak at an institution that opposes his abortion policy.
That got me to thinking. I disagree with lots of people on lots of issues, including members of my family. I still talk with all of them, even about the hot button issues. I love my family, and would not abandon them over an issue and a disagreement. Likewise, I am going to try to be much more respectful of entire groups of people who disagree with my views. I would only ask the same in return. It's easy to dismiss the views of those who disagree, but we are all one human family, and I think opening up intelligent dialogue on all of these issues is important for moving forward as a United Humanity.

3 comments:

Ed said...

Bravo on the post..:-)

Chef E said...

I love the photo slide show, have not figured that one out for my blog yet!

The caterpillars creep me out, but then that darn cat just begs for a hug!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Well said my dear! We should be able to agree to disagree.

Now about those pics...those are some good looking boys you have but you can have those caterpillars!