Friday, December 19, 2008

Our Heritage & more rambling

This week was heritage reports at school, with Family Trees, costumes, reports and food. One kid picked Italy, and I made Mary bread, which is sort of Italian, and really easy.
1 loaf french or sour dough bread
1 cube butter
1 pkg Good Season's Italian Dressing mix
melt the butter to spreadability. mix the dressing mix and butter. Split the loaf (like you would for garlic bread. Spread the buttery mix on bread. Place under broiler until golden toasty. Slice and serve.
The other picked Scotland and I bought Walker's Shortbread. There were Samosas, Tamales, Enchiladas, Puffed Jasmine Rice, Potato Chips (for Idaho), Irish Sweet Bread, and Irish Soda Bread, Lumpia, Pot stickers and Spring Rolls. There were Swedish Meatballs, Spaghetti and Pizza. For dessert there was Rice Pudding, German Chocolate Cupcakes, Chocolate Coins, and Cookies of all kinds.
I'm thinking of creating a cookbook of the recipes, they were THAT good! I found many more vegetarians than I had initially known about, and commiserated with the other moms of picky eaters.
The kids got to wear jammies to school, and were read the Polar Express. They were each given a bell and a book for the holidays and because it was rainy, they were completely wound up.
Now I have to figure out what to do with them next week. Tomorrow I'm going on a photo walk with them. Sunday, Ron is heading to the Raider game. Monday we'll be building Gingerbread houses at Grandma and Papa's house. Tuesday I need to do an airport run. Wednesday and Thursday will be totally nuts. I need to plan a play date for Friday. Saturday we'll be visiting Granny in Hilmar. Sunday-Tuesday is currently open. Wednesday and Thursday again out of the equation. Friday through Sunday totally open. Maybe a snow trip. Maybe just local parks and museums and photo walks. I am feeling a bit cooped up myself and in need of an outing.
Ron is driving me insane with the EMT class. He kept me up past midnight, yammering on about the people in the class, the instructors, the scenarios they have been practicing. Despite wanting some time away and alone, I let him take the car to a study group this afternoon, just to get him to stop freaking out. I holed up in the office, applying at various companies in the area. We'll see what comes of it.

No comments: