Friday, December 5, 2008

Twilight



Last night I went to see Twilight with sis. She just finished the book and wanted to see the movie, and I haven't read the book yet. I thought it was pretty good, and could tell what the appeal to tweens and teens was. I thought Edward was written as a noble character, and the portrayal was a bit awkward, but that may have been the intent. I did not particularly care for Bella as a character, as I found her to be too dependent on Edward's protection, and a bit too willing to give herself up to him, all the while telling her friends that they are strong women. I can also see how High School romances will suffer because of this movie. I have no vested interest at this time whether they flourish or suffer, but I can see where girls are going to want their own "Edward", while boys will have a tough time with the bar for impulse control being set sooo high.

I would have liked to have seen a bit more diversity in the cast in regard to sexual orintation. I know there are lgbt kids in HS, and can even name the ones who I went to school with - and we all knew back then too.

Sis thought there was too much left out from the book that I thought would have helped the back story a bit. Ultimately, I'll read the books and see if there is more redeeming material there.

No comments: