Monday, April 6, 2009

Late Monday Weekend Wrap Up

This weekend was busy and good. Saturday, The Youngest had an early baseball game, and it started kind of chilly, but ended pretty warm. They actually played 40 minutes more than scheduled because both teams were doping really well and the kids were having fun. That left me no time to go home before my three hour snack bar shift. We had a huge run on nachos, which are the best deal and the most artery clogging of the snacks. You get a large clam shell (similar to take out container) with chips, cheese, chili and jalapenos for only $3, which is the same price as a hot dog. Granted, they are the foot long ones, but still the nachos are about 3 times the amount of food. Afterward, I went home and did some laundry, picked up both boys and took them to my Nephews' game. They are both on the same team this year, and they play really well. They played in the sand at the playground after, and we went home and had dinner.
Sunday, each of the boys had a birthday party to attend, one at Pump It Up, the other at Build-a-Bear. The Dude took Build-a-bear, and I took Pump It Up, dropped off the boy and went to my folks to finish the job of removing the Malware from last week. It didn't take very long, and actually had time for lunch. The rest of the day was spent on laundry, and made a Pork shoulder and broccoli slaw for dinner. Oh, I also started taking my blood pressure medicine, since I hadn't called for an appointment with my acupuncturist, and decided it was better to go on it, and then come off of it when I can naturally reduce my BP, than to not go on it at all.
Today the Youngest had a friend over for a play date after school, and my folks brought over a couple of chairs they'd refinished for me into plant stands, along with plants for them. Pictures on those later. My boss today asked that I consider adding to my responsibilities something that I'd rather not do. Trying to be a team player, and come up with a diplomatic way to not have to do it. So far, only have a minimal answer of I'll thin about it, and take the necessary training.
My company has not yet gone on strike, and I am relieved so far. My personal opinion is that they will wait until August, when there is the potential for an improved economy, and greater impact in number of people striking.

7 comments:

iasa said...

Oh my, he is adorable!

aurbie said...

Sounds like a busy weekend.

That is one cute kid. Watch our, girls!

You should take all the responsibility you can handle - at least you have a job. Think about all the people without jobs.

I know what you mean, though. I am retired and I think, "Yikes! Do I have to this and that?" Hey, anyone would love have to my job, so I shoot anything they want me to shoot.

J9 said...

Iasa - Thanks, I think he's a cutie too!

Patty - Good point, and I'll have to let it play out and see what exactly this involves, because I have a suspicion it may involve 12 hour conference calls for 16 weeks in a row, and I'm not sure that would be a good fit for me...

Loida of the 2L3B's said...

Ohh such a cute son you got there.. I miss those times when my children are still small.

Ugh! you reminded me of tacos.. One of our favourites. No wonder we are bunch of fatsos..

Anonymous said...

J9 -- Great Photo!

As for the work thing -- given you and I work at the same place, I'd stick with your line of thinking. While yes -- we should be grateful to be working, we both know the more you give, the more they expect and bleed from you.

On the strike potential -- One can only hope they settle. I read an article this morning and found the comparisons drawn to be hysterical. Our "Spokesperson" is comparing long term employee benefits to those being provided to newer employees in emerging technologies. It was stated these given employees do not pay health care premiums and pay 8 percent of their health care costs in contrast with the employees on the newer side of the business employees who pay as much as 20 percent of health care costs.

I am amazed that the Company thinks they can have it both ways. In one respect, they want to compare existing employees to those working in the newer technologies. However, the Leadership Cronies are sitting at the bargaining table and stall talks to enable these same employees to cross train and bid for jobs on the side of the business seeing growth. Frankly, that embarrasses me.

As someone waiting to work 6 x 12, this type of two-faced banter makes my blood boil. As a manager for this company, you embarrass me.

Anonymous said...

Yikes. I can't write english today! Sorry J9 -- but you know what I man, right? *LOL*

J9 said...

Loida - I was thinking the same thing (about being a nation of obesity) every time I sent out another nacho order.

CalSurf69 - I had to read it twice before I got that I personally do not embarass you, but those at the barganing table do. Personally, I thought the propoganda distributed yesterday was amusing, and my new boss hit the nail on the head on his assessment of it.