Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Swear Words

So last week, The Youngest was cuddling on my lap during mommy TV time. They usually go and play or read after dinner, and I watch The Daily Show or The Colbert Report. I usually wait until after they go to bed, but I hadn't watched any all week and was behind on my DVR. And they had been fighting all day. So I banished them and sat down for Jon Stewart. I really do not remember what he was talking about, but there was quite a bit of swearing, which was bleeped out. The Youngest turns his innocent looking face to me and says, "Mommy, he said 'fuck'". Just like that. I had to not laugh, and explain that we don't use that word. "But Mom, we know the word fuck." I insisted that it was not a nice word, which is why they bleep it from TV, and I don't like hearing that word, and he needed to stop saying it. "But Mom, (name of boys' BFF) said 'What the fuck' when we were having a play date." I told him I didn't care WHAT word other people used, he and his brother are not to use that word. "Mom, I heard The Oldest whisper 'what the fuck' too." I told him that sometimes people slip up and in anger or frustration use words they should not use, this includes mommy and daddy, and he still should not be using that word. I also asked him if he understood that he was not to use that word. He said, "OK Mom", but I wasn't convinced.

7 comments:

Bagman and Butler said...

When our son Brian was 5 or 6, we had a realtor -- a nice prim older woman -- looking at our house and Brian was following us around saying, "Watch me! Watch me! Watch me!" After trying to ignore him, we finally all turned and said, "Okay!" We gave him our rapt attention as he stood up straight and tall and said, "Watch me say 'penis'!"

J9 said...

B&B, and Mark,

Yeah, this is really only the most recent in a series of proud mom moments for me. There was what is still my favorite when the pre school director called to tell me that both boys were teaching their 2 and 4 year old classmates the song, "tequilla Makes Your Clothes Fall Off." Yeah, that one still brings a smile, and after that, I learned that some parents, teachers, and even the director are really cool people!

Coachdad said...

Ahh... foul language coming out of your children's mouth. Been there, done that! Always, always funny! Good luck with it.

J9 said...

CoachDad,
Luckily I didn't have an older shild in the room when this was going on, scolding me for my own swearing (which I try to not do)!

Ed said...

LOL! I can't remember when i let loose with my first 4 letter word, but I'm sure I was disciplined for it..:-)

J9 said...

Ed,

I know if I make a big deal out of it, it will only get worse, and I'd rather not have a house full of pint-sized sailors...

Wendy said...

Boys sure love to be naughty. What's with that??