Saturday, February 28, 2009

Love Dare Day 1

So I've noticed, that this dare seems to be tied to religion - 40 days, each dare day starts with a religious quote, but I'm going to try it anyway.

Dare:The first part of this dare is fairly simple. Although love is communicated in a number of ways, our words often reflect the condition of our heart. For the next day, resolve to demonstrate patience and to say nothing negative to your spouse at all. If the temptation arises, choose not to say anything. It's better to hold your tongue than to say something you'll regret.

I will try, and admit that I may not be spending a ton of time with The Dude today. He has work, and I have younger boy's baseball practice, laundry and grocery shopping.

Today went OK. I did hold my tongue on the few occasions I wanted to say something snarky or sarcastic. What I did notice is that I became resentful of the "go along to get along" attitude of this first day. Why should I raise my blood pressure just to keep it in and not say anything? seems victim like to me. Not that there is anything major going on at all, just didn't feel like sublimating my feelings. I have found it less of a tax on my blood pressure to just say when something is annoying me, and most of the time, I have to hit The Dude with the proverbial 2 by 4 to get it through his head. Subtlety does NOT work on him. Not. At. All.

We'll see how day 2 goes. He's working again, and we're going to the folks' for dinner.

No comments: