Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Love Dare Day 11

Today's Dare:

What need does your spouse have that you could meet today? Can you run an errand? Give a back rub or foot massage? Is there housework you could help with? Choose a gesture that says, “I cherish you” and do it with a smile.

The Dude has been grumbling about the state of the back yard, so today after school, I had the boys go through all the toys out there and sort by which really needed to come in, which were to remain outside, and which were to be thrown away. We now have a trashcan full of broken and rusted toys, a straightened up outdoor toy bin, and a much cleaner yard. My next task will be to finish cleaning the patio, and giving it a good scrub so that it is ready for the BBQ season. I love our yard, and like to be out there if it isn't disgusting. After the winter it just needs to be cleaned. I may even tackle this today while it is still sunny and nice out, but right now, I'm still in my work clothes.

Well the boys had other ideas. Our new neighbor kids came over and played for about an hour while I cooked dinner, recipe to follow. By the time The Dude was home and our neighbors back to their home it was an hour past our normal dinner time and the kids were cranky hungry. Despite the initial grumbling about the dinner, the boys really liked it and it totally hit the spot for me as I could not get warm over these past two days!

The Dude appreciated the cleaning of the yard, and the fact that I cooked AND cleaned up the dishes. We usually split those for I cook and he usually does dishes.

J9's Lazy Ass Black Beans and Rice:

2 cups rice (white or brown, your choice)
2 cans Black Beans (you could use red if you prefer)
1 16 oz pkg frozen southwestern style corn
Garlic
Onion
Cumin
Chili Powder

Start the rice, either in your rice steamer, or in a pot on the stove.
In another pot, over low heat, mix the beans, frozen corn, garlic, onion, cumin and chili powder to taste. For me tonight, it was about a teaspoon each of garlic salt, dried minced onion, cumin and chili powder. Leave both pots alone and covered. When the rice is done, dish out the rice, and the bean/corn mix over the top. If you prefer spicier, you could add hot sauce. I've also added green olives and capers for a bit more saltiness, or a squirt of lemon to finish is good as well.

Tonight I also thought of an even lazier version that includes steam in microwave rice, and a packet of taco or fajita seasoning in place of the seasonings above.

4 comments:

iasa said...

Ah yes the garden toy graveyard. We have one of those as well. Although less on the toys these days but big on socks. I'm picking those buggers up everyday.

Jo said...

That recipe looks delicious. Guess what I'm making for dinner tonight.

Love the birdhouses too!

Cheers!

J9 said...

Iasa - thankfully, the sock garden mostly exists in the house!

Jo, let me know how the dinner went!

Kelly L said...

I am so glad I found your blog. I am also doing the love dare. I am on day 30. I can say my marriage is completely different...God is so amazing. Please visit my love dare blog at http://www.ivebecomemymother.com

Would love to compare notes.
God bless